The Pony Epic of Epic Epicness

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big questions

4 posters

Go down

The Big questions Empty The Big questions

Post  beroulga 8th October 2012, 10:57 pm

there we have a thread i wanted to try for not reason where we ask big questions and discuss. starting now.

also your questions can be not so big, just fun. try not to troll too hard, it gets awfully easy.

Question 1. whats better. Fleeting happiness coupled with defeat or just a constant dull semi defeat?

beroulga
beroulga

Back to top Go down

The Big questions Empty Re: The Big questions

Post  beroulga 8th October 2012, 11:01 pm

argument for dull semi-defeat. = [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] <--link
beroulga
beroulga

Back to top Go down

Post  hpsandwich 9th October 2012, 2:20 am

i don't even remember what spawned this dash-squee, i was too worried about eating Twinkie Wiener Sandwiches...

well i will have to say feeling happiness coupled with defeat would be better, because at least you have extremes, rather than just a constant dull drum.

hpsandwich
hpsandwich
Admin

https://ponyepic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  beroulga 9th October 2012, 10:11 am

yeah but those extremes are awfully crushing, couldn't it be seen as better to live a moderate life despite that Life not being crazy happy all the time? perhaps even just a little melancholy? All that blinding happy followed by a fall into massive sadness, that's got to be tiring.

I realize i am not making the "dull" life less negative than originally, but i don't think i can defend constantly sad.
beroulga
beroulga

Back to top Go down

Post  hpsandwich 9th October 2012, 3:14 pm

i would get rather bored honestly, and probably lose perspective on myself if life were that boring. theirs a phrase that comes to mind, though only partially applicable. "its better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all." kinda holds true in this situation imo.

and sure it would get tiring, but everything gets tiring if it keeps happening. living in a constant dulldrum would be even more tiring simply due to the fact its constant... its like watching daytime TV. its all the same, its all pretty boring and uneventful, and at the end of it all you are exhosted somehow.
hpsandwich
hpsandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  beroulga 10th October 2012, 12:38 am

yeahh.... and I've run out of defenses for something I don't believe... oh well. New question.
beroulga
beroulga

Back to top Go down

Post  hpsandwich 17th October 2012, 5:48 am

I pose 2 queries.

1. If a herring falls in a shrubbery, does it make a ni? twilight-shocked

2. is there a type of joke that does NOT require some form of deep understanding of one or many topics to be funny? Such as a deep understanding of humanity, science, spirituality, history, culture, swallows, ect... if said joke exists, how is it funny? twilight-argh
hpsandwich
hpsandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Knight Lord Diggalot 24th October 2012, 11:27 am

I've been giving this so much thought but I can't find an example that does not require knowledge... I guess there is not...
Sir Knight Lord Diggalot
Sir Knight Lord Diggalot

Back to top Go down

Post  beroulga 25th October 2012, 10:29 am

Are we counting knowledge held in common to count as knowledge or just special knowledge, like that of a specific show or context? If knowledge that we all hold is not counted then I think that certain funny sounding words or sentences can count. and its possible slap stick doesn't at all.

But maybe peekaboo is a good example of such a possible joke. Babies find this funny, I think, because its strange to them. the persons there and then not, and then suddenly there with an exclamation. this kind of joke is funny without any knowledge of the game at all. If we can find an analogous situation for older people you may just find your non contextual joke.
beroulga
beroulga

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Knight Lord Diggalot 8th November 2012, 10:32 am

I suppose that we'll have to decide what a joke really is. Peekaboo is not something I really see as a joke, but more as a game.
Sir Knight Lord Diggalot
Sir Knight Lord Diggalot

Back to top Go down

Post  rogier 12th January 2013, 4:10 pm

I'd say this one counts as one not requiring special knowledge and only a general understanding of semantics:
Two idiots are walking down the street.
Suddenly one stops and says, "Okay that's enough. Now I want to walk in the middle."
I guess the question whether it is also funny is another one fluttershy-happy

rogier

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum